Home Up Services Our Purpose Contact Super Links Definitions Search Feedback 
Legal Compliance
  Income Tax, GST, Accounting, Financial Statements, Consulting     


Legal Compliance Checklist



  1. Registering your Business. You do not need to register your business if you operate it in your own personal name as a sole proprietor. If you are going to operate under a business name as a sole proprietorship, a partnership or a limited company, register your business with the provincial Registrar of Companies. A registration package may be obtained from any corporate registration office. You should register your business prior to obtaining a business license. Allow at least seven days for your name search and registration. If a sole proprietor establishes a business in his or her own name, without adding any other words, it is not necessary to register the business.

  2. Obtaining a Business License. Municipalities normally require that your business premises be licensed to conduct business within its municipal boundaries in accordance with the bylaws. In some instances, persons may be required to obtain licenses in municipalities in which they do not maintain premises but do carry on business. For example, persons involved in direct sales to the consumer should contact each community in which they are doing business. If your business is located in an incorporated municipality (city, town, village or district), obtain a business license from the municipal business license office.

  3. Land Use and Zoning. If your business is located in a municipality, check with municipal authorities to ensure conformity with zoning and building regulations. If your business is located in an unincorporated area, check with the Regional District to ensure conformity with land use designation

  4. Federal Goods and Services Tax (GST/HST). If your annual revenue from the sales of taxable goods and services will exceed $30,000, you are required to register for GST. Once you have registered, you will be assigned a Business Number (see next section). If your annual revenue from the sales of taxable goods and services is not expected to exceed $30,000, you are not required to register. If you do not register, you will not charge GST to your customers but neither will you be able to receive a refund for the GST paid on your business purchases. The GST number system is part of the Business Number system discussed below.

  5. Business Number. When you open one or more of CRA's four major business accounts: corporate income tax (RC), import/export, payroll deductions (RP) and the goods and services tax (RT) - you will receive a Business Number (BN).

  6. Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB). Most business operations in are required to have compensation coverage. Employers who are uncertain about their need to register for compensation coverage should contact the WCB for information. Overall responsibility for complying with the Workers Compensation Act and WCB Regulations and for paying assessments rests with the employers, as the controllers of the workplace.

  7. Labour Requirements. If you are hiring employees or subcontracting for labour, you may want to know requirements for minimum wage, statutory holidays and other employer/employee rights. To obtain this and other related information, contact the nearest provincial agency.

  8. Business Records. If you are operating a business or have a self-employment income, set up an orderly record and accounting system as required under the appropriate laws. It is recommended that you contact your accountant for relevant forms, information on expense deductions, interpretation bulletins and income tax return forms. Purchasing the services of a qualified accountant is recommended





Legal Notice And Disclaimer

Privacy Statement




Keith Anderson, BCom, CPA, CA-IT, CITP Copyright September 9, 1999 Last Modified :07/16/18 04:17 PM